75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE 75)
A special programme of events marking VE 75 will take place over the Early May Bank Holiday 2020 in Central London and has been designed to be of particular interest to all from the Second World War generation and are expected to be reflected in communities across the nation.
The Royal British Legion is particularly pleased to announce that we plan to host 750 veterans from across the UK, each accompanied by a nominated companion, to attend the VE 75 events programme in Central London over the period 8-9 May 2020. Our invitation includes a fully funded plan for transport, meals and accommodation; veterans will travel to London courtesy of the National Rail Group on Thursday 7 May 2020 and returning home on Sunday 10 May 2020.
We encourage applications from all of those who contributed to victory in Europe 75 years ago, including spouses and civilians from reserved occupations across the UK and Commonwealth.
We are inviting applications from all parts of the UK and in particular, the following categories:
- Service personnel who served under the Crown, this includes Dominion and Empire (now Commonwealth) forces, as well as foreign forces under British command such as the Polish Army of the West and the French Resistance.
- Service must have been in the European theatre between 1939 and 1945, this will include the Mediterranean, North African, and Middle East theatres.
- The spouses of service personnel who served in the above theatres.
- People who were child evacuees during the war.
- Those who served on the Home Front, for example as Land Girls, Bevin Boys, Home Guard, Women’s Timber Corps, and the like, either as civilians in reserved occupations or with the Armed Forces.
- Men and women who served in the emergency services.
Participants will travel to London via train from their local station. If you think you may find it difficult to get to your local station, the Legion will do our utmost to provide the appropriate support. When in London, the entire veteran group will be accommodated at the Hard Rock Hotel, Marble Arch, and will be transported around the various event programme sites via coach. All hotel rooms can accommodate wheelchairs and walking aids. If you or your companion are unable to walk unaided, please let us know on the booking form and we will do our best to accommodate your needs. In support of your stay in London, the Legion will provide an on-site and highly experienced Care capability. It is vital that you let us know in advance about any medical provisions we should make in order to make your stay as comfortable as possible.